I am currently reading Edwin Gaustad’s book, “Sworn on the Altar of God.” The book is a biography of the religious life of Thomas Jefferson. Thomas grew up during the period known as the age “Enlightenment.” Reason and nature were the capstones of this period. A portion of the book addresses the issue of the depravity of man, which came under severe scrutiny in the late 1700’s. Was man so depraved, that he could not reason his sinful condition before a holy and righteous God? Ethan Allen, a critical genius, in my opinion, noted: “if reason were totally depraved, how then do we distinguish between a rational being and a madman?” Furthermore, Allen explained that those who argue for the total depravity of mankind, do so by way of reason which they claim is depraved. So, where am I going with this?
Faith, by its very definition in the Greek, is trust or complete reliance in something. In our case, it is complete trust in Christ – his nature, his miraculous birth, his sinless life, his substitutionary death on the cross and his glorious resurrection from the dead. But, it is not a blind faith, nor should it be only a blind faith. For example, the Bible reveals that there were over 520 witnesses to the resurrection of Christ from the dead. We have clear evidence from historical records that Jesus was a real person, who performed miracles and taught about the Kingdom of God. Christians have not only a strong faith but a faith that can be argued in a sinful culture. The Apostle Peter wrote, “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect” (1 Pet. 3:15). No, brothers and sisters, we do not have a blind faith!
- Helping people become fully committed followers of Christ!
- Sunday School on October 22, 2017 9:30 am
- Sunday Morning Worship Service on October 22, 2017 10:40 am
- Women’s Prayer Group on October 24, 2017 9:30 am
- Children in Action / Mission Friends on October 25, 2017 6:30 pm
- Bible Study on October 25, 2017 6:30 pm
- Mission Friends/Children In Action Party/Sleepover on October 27, 2017 6:00 pm
- Men’s Breakfast on October 29, 2017 9:00 am
- Deaon’s Meeting on November 2, 2017 4:00 pm
- Giving Place Clothing Give-away on November 4, 2017 9:00 am
- Baby Shower for Megan Seals on November 5, 2017 2:00 pm
Fan the Flame Dr. Michael J. Fraizer, October 15, 2017
Guest Preacher Dr. Keith Warner 10-8-17 Dr. Keith Warner, October 8, 2017
Christian Heritage Dr. Michael J. Fraizer, October 1, 2017
The Tree of Life Dr. Michael J. Fraizer, September 24, 2017
The Cursed Tree Dr. Michael J. Fraizer, September 17, 2017